In addition to serving the people of Thomazeau at our base and clinic, LiveBeyond also conducts advocacy activities to ensure the organization’s priorities resonate in Congress and the federal government. Examples of our advocacy activities include:
- Meeting with Congressional leaders: LiveBeyond has met with US House and Senate leaders, including representatives from Tennessee, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, and others to share our support of continued and increased federal funding for international aid and global health research and activities.
- Building relationships with leadership at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). LiveBeyond staff is actively engaged with the CDC and has held meetings with CDC’s office in Haiti, including the country director, to discuss important topics such as how the CDC and LiveBeyond might be able to work together to improve healthcare and access to clean water in Thomazeau and other areas of Haiti.
- Pursuing partnerships with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). USAID is a major funder of aid activities throughout Haiti. LiveBeyond has met with USAID representatives to discuss opportunities to collaborate on a pilot program to improve primary school curriculum and an initiative with the Hôpital de l'Université d'Etat d'Haïti (State University Hospital of Haiti), or HUEH, and the medical school at Université d'Etat d'Haïti in Port-au-Prince to enhance healthcare education in the country. LiveBeyond staff have met with the Director of USAID’s Haiti Mission and are actively pursuing partnership opportunities. Recently, LiveBeyond submitted an application for a grant from USAID’s Office of American Schools and Hospitals Abroad. If awarded this grant, the funds will be used to construct the LiveBeyond Hospital and Medical Education Center, which will allow us to offer improved medical care to residents of Thomazeau and the surrounding areas and educational opportunities for local Haitians interested in pursuing a career in healthcare.
- Engaging with the Department of State. Maintaining relationships with the Department of State’s Haiti Office is a priority for LiveBeyond, as they implement and oversee many important programs within Haiti. LiveBeyond staff has met with the Director of the Office of Haiti Special Coordinator and is dedicated to working with the Department of State to best leverage State and LiveBeyond activities in Haiti.
- Identifying partners at the Global Partnerships Practitioners Forum – In March 2017, LiveBeyond team members attended this USAID-sponsored conference to learn more about how international organizations can successfully build partnerships with industry, government, and other nonprofits. LiveBeyond actively pursues partnership opportunities with corporate and nonprofit organizations. For more information on partnership opportunities, please contact email@example.com.